Vivid images in your writing are the fastest way to give your readers that “aha!” moment of understanding. Common tools are analogies like metaphors and similes, which compare this new thing to that quite different thing. A metaphor expresses the unfamiliar in terms of the familiar (“The river snakes its way…”). A simile compares two […]
Recent Blog Posts
- Get an ‘aha’ moment with analogy
- In a slump? Here’s how to dig out
- Capture attention and interest with your elevator speech
- Niche reads and odd titles in quirky contest
- 4 ways to simplify your sustainability report
- Take control of meetings to shine
- Set the tone with words
- Don’t let LinkedIn intimidate you
- How do you reach “non-desk” employees?
- To bid or not to bid on that RFP?
Blogging Books Communications Customer service Dispatches from the dorm E-mail Event reviews Expressive writing Freelance writing Friday fun General nonsense IABC IABC conference Life Life is short Marketing Networking Newsletters Punctuation Readability Social media The independent life Wordplay Words Writing tips