So Elicia MacKenzie has been crowned Maria von Trapp (in the show, How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?) for the upcoming Toronto production of the Sound of Music. Good for her! I did not see a single episode, nor have I watched any of American Idol or Canadian Idol. That surely puts me in a minority.
In honour of the new Maria, here are some of my favourite things in my work days the past couple of weeks:
- when clients ask me to work my “magic” when writing, proofreading or editing something. I had one instance of that, plus a related “please ‘de-cheese’ this.”
- when I run the readability stats on something I’ve written and come up with 0% passive sentences.
- when a tricky article comes back from review with very few changes.
- when the words flow and I finish the day’s writing with time to fit in a swim (under sun and blue sky, of course).
- when I’m able to pull all my work together and meet deadlines before going away on vacation for a couple of days.
And that’s what I’m up to now. And by the way, if you’re an independent and business is quiet, just send a note around to your clients telling them you’ll be on vacation.